The East Chicago Housing Authority (ECHA) has received a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to partner with Indiana Legal Services, Inc. (ILS) to help young people reduce the bad effects of a juvenile or criminal record.The program will focus on youth, 24 years old or younger, who have a criminal record and:
1) Are currently living in public housing or Section 8 or
2) Who are former public housing residents but still have family living in public housing.
Eligible youth can receive legal help to expunge, seal or correct their juvenile or adult criminal arrest or conviction records when permitted under Indiana state law. They also can get legal help:
• To obtain a special driver’s license needed for a job,
• To get an occupational license (i.e. barber or beautician license),
• Relating to employment,
• Modifying child support orders and for other family law needs.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 219-397-9974 ext. 110